CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Saturday 14 July 2012

Rebecca by Daphne DuMaurier

Synopsis:
"Last night I dreamt I went to Manderley again",
With these words, the reader is ushered into an isolated gray stone mansion on the windswept Cornish coast, as the second Mrs. Maxim de Winter recalls the chilling events that transpired as she began her new life as the young bride of a husband she barely knew. For in every corner of every room were phantoms of a time dead but not forgotten a past devotedly preserved by the sinister housekeeper, Mrs. Danvers: a suite immaculate and untouched, clothing laid out and ready to be worn, but not by any of the great house's current occupants. With an eerie presentiment of evil tightening her heart, the second Mrs. de Winter walked in the shadow of her mysterious predecessor, determined to uncover the darkest secrets and shattering truths about Maxim's first wife the late and hauntingly beautiful Rebecca.

(goodreads.com)



My Rating: 4 out of 5 stars
Who Recommended it To Me: my sister
Who I Would Recommend it To: someone who is looking for an old-fashioned mystery

Though a long book, the book was a surprisingly fast read.  I read it in only a day and a half and I didn't feel like I was reading fast.  I was reading and then it was over.  I guess it's because when there's a really intriguing, kind of haunting type of book, you tend to not be able to put it down, despite its eeriness.  Something scared me at the beginning about Rebecca, even though for nearly all of the book she was considered perfect and flawless. 

Even though it might seem at first glance that the narrator is just an average mouse who finds herself in a creepy old mansion with a guy she's just barely met, I found there was actually something really weird about her.  We never got a clear picture of her.  All through the book, she is nameless.  She's just "the new Mrs. de Winter".  I find that decision a little odd but also very fascinating because you never see that in books, I think it was the first one I read that was like that.  "the new Mrs. de Winter" in my opinion, was kind of a creep. 

There were some really unexpected moments in the book, actually I gasped out loud at some of them.  My sister read the book before me and told me I should read it so I did and we talked about it throughout my reading it, which was cool because a lot of the books I read no one else in my family has read, so I liked that part of it.  

If you want a scary mystery that has an old fashioned aspect to it, then totally go for reading this.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate and love all comments, support, and feedback on my blog! I will also try my best to respond to each and every one of your comments, so know that I read and appreciate each one!

Thank you so much for commenting (or at least reading my post ;P)!