CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Saturday 14 July 2012

Thirteen Reasons Why


Synopsis:

Clay Jensen returns home from school to find a mysterious box with his name on it lying on his porch. Inside he discovers thirteen cassette tapes recorded by Hannah Baker, his classmate and crush who committed suicide two weeks earlier.

        On tape, Hannah explains that there are thirteen reasons why she decided to end her life. Clay is one of them. If he listens, he'll find out how he made the list.                                     Through Hannah and Clay's dual narratives, debut author Jay Asher weaves an intricate and heartrending story of confusion and desperation that will deeply affect teen readers. 


My Rating: 4.75 stars out of 5 stars
Who Recommended it To Me: As always, friends on Goodreads :) 
Who I Would Recommend it To: Everyone should read it! 

Beautifully written and articulated, but sad at the same exact time.  I always think that after you finish a book you should feel something, whether it be happiness, joy, sadness, peacefulness, or anger.  To me I felt a little bit sad, a little bit angry, and a little bit lonely.  I guess that's good, right, since it must have had a pretty strong affect on you if you feel that way.  When I ordered the book, I knew that it was going to be sad, but I wasn't prepared for serious life-lesson type things.  I talked to a couple of people who had serious issues with the book because they thought that the book concluded that Hannah's suicide was a good choice of hers.  But I think that if you are smart enough to get it, then you would understand that it obviously wasn't a good choice.  

Another thing that made this book so sad was that through the tapes, Hannah's personality and manner got so well developed that you would think that she was alive, in real life, instead of dead.  In a book. So she doesn't exist in two ways, but to me it felt like she existed in both.  Since her character was so crystal-clear from the start, it was hard to deal with the fact that she was gone. 

I'm usually not the kind of reader who likes super intense, sad, life-changing books such as this one, but  I found that I really enjoyed reading this one.  Well, I'm not going to use the word "enjoyed" because it wasn't what you would call, like, enjoyable. I think every one should read it at some point in their life because they could get a lot out of it.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate and love all comments, support, and feedback on my blog! I will also try my best to respond to each and every one of your comments, so know that I read and appreciate each one!

Thank you so much for commenting (or at least reading my post ;P)!