CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Tuesday 11 December 2012

Maggie Stiefvater- What She Does Well In Her Writing

So if you are a ya literature fanatic as I am then you have definetely heard of Maggie Stiefvater.  If you don't know who she is then let me explain. She is the author of the Wolves of Mercy Falls series (Shiver, Linger, Forever), author of The Raven Boys, The Scorpio Races, Lament, and Ballad.  So far I have read three of her books: Shiver, Linger, and The Raven Boys. And each time she has amazed me.

Why did she amaze me? Well, the way that she is able to pull her readers into the story is astounding. Her writing style works really well with the stories she tells. So today I am going to break down for you what it is exactly that she does well.


  • Pulls her readers in from the first page. Her first lines of books or first paragraphs are always highly intriguing. For example, the first line of Shiver is, "I remember lying in the snow, a small red spot of warm going cold, surrounded by wolves." The first line of The Raven Boys is, "Blue Sargent had forgotten how many times someone had told her she would kill her true love." Now is that amazing or what? 
  • Creates a thoughtful and different story line while using techniques that teens love. I admire the way that Maggie is able to choose a unique topic to write about while at the same time she stays in the general vicinity of where teenagers like to go- Her Wolves of Mercy Falls series is about werewolves which are very popular in young adult books these days- but she manages to make them non-cliche and pretty awesome. Well the Raven Boys was not something like I'd ever read in young adult literature before but it was amazing because of that. So she is very unique.
  • Is one of the most unique YA author voices of today. First Maggie's voice is so clear, she's not one of those authors that just slips out of the scene.  She writes in a different kind of way that makes her voice sound different than all the other ya authors of today.  She says things like, "She grunted to the negative," which is just another cool way of saying that she mumbled no. I love the way she does that and is able to put a picture in her readers mind without going completely overboard *cough* Tahereh Mafi *cough*
  • Writes such good books! I've enjoyed all reading experiences by Maggie and her books are simply amazing. If you have not read one of them then you must pick one up immediately! Or at least the next time you are at the bookstore or the library. 
Anyway that was just a quick author profile so I hope this helped you . This is the 1st installment I'm doing of a series called "What Makes a Good Writer (WMAGW)". Throughout the month I will be sharing with you several different talented authors and what makes them so talented. Have a nice week!

Love, Love, Love,
annabel (:

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate and love all comments, support, and feedback on my blog! I will also try my best to respond to each and every one of your comments, so know that I read and appreciate each one!

Thank you so much for commenting (or at least reading my post ;P)!