CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Tuesday 12 March 2013

{Review}: Burn for Burn by Jenny Han & Siobhan Vivian


Burn for Burn
by Jenny Han & Siobhan Vivian
Series: Burn for Burn #1
Release Date: September 18, 2012
by Simon & Schuster

Add on Goodreads

Lillia has never had any problems dealing with boys who like her. Not until this summer, when one went too far. No way will she let the same thing happen to her little sister.Kat is tired of the rumours, the insults, the cruel jokes. It all goes back to one person– her ex-best friend– and she's ready to make her pay.Four years ago, Mary left Jar Island because of a boy. But she's not the same girl anymore. And she's ready to prove it to him.Three very different girls who want the same thing: sweet, sweet revenge. And they won't stop until they each had a taste.




I loved this book so much! <3

I loved it to pieces. If someone tore this book apart (O_o) I would continue to love every last smithereen of it.  In fact, I wasn't expecting to like this book at all. It looked super cheesy, but it turned out to be an awesome read. One of my favorites of 2013, I have to admit.

I liked Jenny Han's Summer trilogy well enough, but it wasn't one of my favorites. I don't think I would have given this book a second glance were it not for some reviews I read, the gorgeous cover, and most of all, the amazing premise that the summery conveyed. In fact, when I read this summery, I was like, "HELL YES!!"

First of all, I just love these characters. Kat was definitely my favorite of the three girls--I loved her self-confident, bad-bitch side. Usually her types of characters annoy me, but for Kat, her character totally worked.  Mary seemed genuinely sweet and I almost teared up when I heard what happened to her.  Lillia, I wasn't so sure about until the end of the book. I disliked the things she said and did, and preferred Kat and Mary so much better. By the end of the book, though, I loved the character. These girls went through so much, but at the same time, they were almost as bad as the people who had been terrible to them, so it was a weird mix of bad and good with these girls. Which I LOVED. The whole revenge storyline was freaking awesome, and it made me think of Taylor Swift's song "Better Than Revenge".
I have to say, I am completely hooked on contemporary fiction these days, and this one definitely sealed the deal-- I'm just in love with the genre. I usually classify myself as a fantasy girl, but I've definitely read some contemporaries that I've liked, and this one was definitely one of them. One thing I wasn't sure about though--in Mary's point of view, there seemed to be a fantasy element that confused me a little, what with it being such a contemporary-style book. It threw me off, but I'm so glad this is a series so I can find out what will happen to Lillia, Kat, and Mary in the next book!

This book positively blew me away. With characters like these, and a premise like this, Han and Vivian just couldn't go wrong.  What a totally, awesome, kickass idea for a book!! :)


COVER TALK: I am in LOOOVE with this cover. OMG. The 3 girls look exactly like I imagined them, especially Mary. I also love the color scheme! Not only was this an amaaaazing book, it has an amaaaazing cover to match! <33


4.5/5 Stars

2 comments:

  1. I have seen this book around but never thought much of it. But now I need it! Thanks for writing such a great (and cute!) review :D

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate and love all comments, support, and feedback on my blog! I will also try my best to respond to each and every one of your comments, so know that I read and appreciate each one!

Thank you so much for commenting (or at least reading my post ;P)!